Sunday, November 6, 2016

2016-11-02 Good Week in Genova

This was a good week! We had TWO of our investigators in church!! One is our age for, Honduras and the other is a mother of a convert daughter who is now serving in temple square. Anyways, it was really good. Our ward for some reason has been doing this weird thing for the last two weeks in which after sacrament meeting, they have like, a 2-hour convention instead. Last week was pretty intense so when we realized they were doing it again, we decided to take our investigators out of the fire but I'm pretty sure we just threw them into the frying pan because we had no gospel principles teacher so I had to teach on the fly. It was horrible, but at least we got them to come to church and they didn't seem to be aware that we were flying by the seat of our pants. I'm not sure if I used that expression correctly.

Anyways, we taught a lesson to a woman who came to English class! None of our regulars showed up so it was just me and my companion and her. She talked a lot, like every Italian, and a lot of what she said was like "YES we believe that, too!" Like she disagreed with a lot of things we see in the Italian mindset and general attitude towards faith. So we asked her if we could teach her what we believe about the purpose of life and she was like "yes! Please! Of course!" So we taught her the plan of salvation......or we tried to at least. We thought she was going to be really open to the message but after explaining a little bit she was like, "wow, that's great that you think this is true. It's great that you found what works for you." And we were like......but you can know if this is true, too. And she was like, no no I think everyone is right. I can't tell you that you're wrong because it's right FOR YOU. But nobody's path is really wrong. And we were just like ðŸ˜‘🙄🤔😫 She agreed with us that there is a truth (ex, a God really does exist or He really doesn't, it can't be both), and that the point of this life is to get closer to that Truth....but she basically was saying that everybody is right. It was very self-contradicting and it sort of made me and my companion stop so we could think about what to say.

Anyways, I just want to say that there is of course a truth. Either God exists or He doesn't. It's one or the other! And everybody's efforts to know the truth are valiant. I just want to say that I know that God didn't send us done here for the purpose of never having the hope of knowing the truth. He has given us the Holy Ghost, that good feeling, and the scriptures to guide us. I think it would be sbagliato of God to send us down here and then shut off all communication with us. 
"Good luck!" 
*shuts the door behind him*
No! I know that He's there, that He's listening. He probably won't descend down in a cloud for you, but he has sent us so much that if we just exercise faith in the signs he has given us, I know we will be guided along the right path. 

Anyways, I love you all so much! I know I'm not right all the time. But I'm glad for all the many things the church has taught me, which I believe to be right because I've seen firsthand their fruits. I love you all and I hope this entry was uplifting because I think that woman's spiritual journey is great, too. I just hope she knows that God does answer prays and we can know the truth, and I think that that's amazing and I want the whole world to know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment